"As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. " John 9:1-2

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Italian Warmth...

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou

I always say that having compassion and empathy for others is part of my DNA.

I don't think it happens by accident, I feel the family factor has much to do with it.

I was fortunate enough to be born into a big, Italian family. If you know anything about Italians, you know that we are huggers. Lots of hugs and kisses...given at hellos, good byes, and for everything else in between!

I think that's where my feelings for others---being able to feel what they feel--and empathize, comes from. I saw it modeled each and every day, and felt it in the atmosphere of our home. It oozed out of my parents, and it spilled into my two sisters, my brother, and me.

People often comment to me that I have a gift for empathizing with people, and, in turn, helping them. Although I am very grateful that they call it my gift, I know it was a gift that was given to me not only by God, but also by my parents and extended family.

Because of this, I know it is so important to have kids that are capable of feeling for others also.

Don't we all want them to grow up to be compassionate human beings? To be able to be the voice of hope and sincerity when people need it the most?

This can only be modeled--in our voices, our actions, and the tone we set for the space that we all dwell.

Regardless of the kind of home you grew up in, or the family you were born into, I'm sure that being a parent changed you. Someone calling you 'Mom' or 'Dad' altered the make-up of your heart and gave you the ability to create your own unique atmosphere that fosters this kind of warmth.

Please don't misunderstand me in thinking that my home is constantly flowing with positive , quiet voice tones  and angelic singing. Remember I told you I'm Italian...100% Italian. I am by no means claiming that my house is a quiet, serene place each and every day.Voices are loud, crazy mom comes out of me at about 9pm every night.... But I will tell you, that at the end of the day, my kids know that my husband and I love each other---and them--more than anything in this world. I hope and pray daily that they will grow up secure in who they are, and that a piece of my love and compassion for others will be instilled inside of them forever.


My prayer for you this week is that you will recognize the moments in the busyness of your day that this compassion-love-warmth-can be shown to your kids. And that you will be able to instill this gift to them..just by being you.

~Maria








No comments:

Post a Comment